Resilient & Driven | Dynamic Team-player
Alvin Lim's Overview
- Undergraduate at Nanyang Technological University
- Summer Intern at Citi
- Customer Service Officer at SingTel
- Events Assistant at CapitaMalls Asia Limited
- Tank Operator at Singapore Armed Forces
- Nanyang Technological University
- Meridian Junior College
- Temasek Secondary School
20 people have recommended Alvin
Alvin Lim's Summary
My work is a game, a very serious game. - M. C. Escher (1898 - 1972)
And that is exactly how I perceive work. I believe that by seeing the fun in challenges set for me, I will have the motivation and determination to put my best foot forward in tackling them. Responsibility and results will definitely not be compromised while appreciating the process.
I have a keen interest in the finance sector. The ever-changing conditions of the markets thrill me. I aspire to be an outstanding analyst with the power to understand the forces behind these vicissitudes and use my knowledge to empower investors.
The rigour of the education system has furnished me with an analytical mind and the ability to seek creative solutions for problem solving. I believe in carrying myself with confidence and having an amicable disposition. I am comfortable with sharing my viewpoints and relish a fast-paced and vibrant discussion. I also enjoy working in a team, and feel that it brings out the strengths in each individual.
I revel in taking up leadership positions. In today's society, it is important to be able to take up the reins and initiate changes. I had held several key leadership roles, and my experiences build up the confidence, responsibility and people management skills necessary for the corporate world.
I believe in the importance of an all-rounded education. Other than striving for the best in academics, I also constantly develop my other interests. I have a strong passion for the sport of bowling. The focus and consistency required fires me up. The ever-changing lane conditions also hone skills of quick analysis and adaptability. I feel that these skills can be translated to the equally dynamic environment in my field of interest, finance.
My skills and experiences are coupled with a strong drive and thirst for knowledge, and I await the tests and opportunities of the corporate world.
Organisation Behaviour and Design
Financial Statistics & Management Science
Customer Relations Management
Alvin Lim's Experience
Educational Institution; 5001-10,000 employees; Higher Education industry
August 2010 – Present (2 years 11 months)
• Bachelor in Business (Hons)
• Aiming to major in Banking and Finance
"The Nanyang Business School (NBS) is a leading business school committed to educating tomorrow’s strategic leaders, through cutting-edge rigorous curricula that are relevant to business practice. NBS provides an outstanding learning environment, with the full range of undergraduate and graduate programmes, state-of-the-art facilities and world-class research centres.
Nanyang Business School is accredited by both the EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) and AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). It is one of the only six Business Schools outside of the US to be awarded the AACSB Accreditation in Accounting. These are the most widely recognized European and American quality assurance standards for accounting and business education. They assure our graduates that their degree will be both recognized and valued around the world.
Our MBA programme is ranked at 33 in the Financial Times Global MBA Rankings 2011 and consistently placed among the top 10 in the Asia-Pacific."
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; C; Financial Services industry
December 2011 – February 2012 (3 months) Singapore
- Enhanced and consolidated the GSC MIS tracking template and process to be more efficient
- Automated some of the manual tracking via use of macros
- Supported information gathering for improvement of automated answering system for Citiphone across APAC
Customer Service Officer
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; Telecommunications industry
February 2010 – June 2010 (5 months)
• Handled incoming calls from corporate customers regarding general enquiries, products and billing (1606 mobile hotline)
• Developed several soft skills during customer management tasks, general administration and liaison with other departments
• Managed unhappy customers' expectations while taking charge of that customer's account and solving the customer's problems
• Responsible for sending requests for editing of customer's mobile lines and services to back-room
"The SingTel Group is Asia’s leading communications group, providing a diverse range of communication services and solutions, including fixed, mobile, data, Internet, info-communications technology, satellite and pay TV.
We are the largest listed company on the Singapore Exchange by market capitalisation. We are also listed on the Australian Securities Exchange as a result of our acquisition of Optus, the second largest communications provider in Australia, in September 2001.
In addition, the SingTel Group is a long-term strategic investor in six regional mobile operators in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Pakistan and Bangladesh. To serve the needs of multinational corporations, SingTel has a network of 36 offices in 19 countries and territories throughout Asia Pacific, in Europe and the USA."
CapitaMalls Asia Limited
November 2009 – November 2009 (1 month)
• Responsible for giving out prospectus to the public, as well as handling simple enquiries pertaining to the IPO, at a booth at Raffles Place
• Managed promotional materials for the IPO, performing stock-taking and acknowledging receipt of deliveries
• Managed public feedback and general running of booth
"CapitaMalls Asia Limited is one of the largest listed shopping mall developers, owners and managers in Asia by total property value of assets and geographic reach. CapitaMalls Asia has an integrated shopping mall business model encompassing retail real estate investment, development, mall operations, asset management and fund management capabilities. It has interests in and manages a pan-Asian portfolio of 91 shopping malls across 49 cities in the five countries of Singapore, China, Malaysia, Japan and India, with a total property value of approximately S$23.8 billion and a total GFA of approximately 74 million sq ft."
Government Agency; 10,001+ employees; Defense & Space industry
March 2008 – November 2009 (1 year 9 months)
• Main role as driver, to maintain tactical positioning and movement of tank, and to provide stable platform for firing
• Worked long hours under high pressure conditions
• Responsible for general maintainance of vehicle
"Our Army is to deter aggression, and should deterrence fail, to secure a swift and decisive victory. In peacetime, our Army is to be ready and capable of conducting a spectrum of operations to protect our national interests and the well-being of our citizens"
Alvin Lim's Education
Nanyang Technological University
Bachelor in Business (Hons)
2010 – 2013
Nanyang Technological University College Scholarship, Recipient
• Displayed strong leadership skills and a vibrant co-curricular activity portfolio
NTU Bowling Club, Inter-Varsity Player
• Emerged champion in NTU Union Bowl 2010
NTU Hall of Residence 12 Border ‘11, Business Manager
• In charge of contacting sponsors and sourcing for canvassing opportunities for the event
• Person-in-charge of two groups during overseas event
NTU Hall of Residence 12 Camp aXIIom 2011, Assistant Chief Programmer
• Responsible for planning and execution of various programmes during this freshman orientation camp
• In charge of over 30 Programmers
Activities and Societies: NTU Hall of Residence 12 Publications Committee, NTU Hall of Residence 12 Welfare Committee, NBS Freshmen Orientation Camp 2010 "Dragons vs Vikings", NTU Hall of Residence 12 Freshmen Orientation Camp 2010 "Where the Magic Begins"
Meridian Junior College
GCE "A" Levels, Science
2006 – 2007
Meridian Junior College Tenpin Bowling, Team Captain
2006 - 2007
• Led the team in National Schools Tenpin Bowling 'A' Division Championship
• Took charge of organising and planning of various events
Nanyang Research Programme, Participant
• Worked directly with a professor from NTU School of Computer Engineering on project on surveillance systems
• Achieved Merit Award
Activities and Societies: Leadership Training Camp 2006, Supernatural Freshmen Orientation 2006, Vincintore Freshmen Orientation 2007, Open House 2006
Temasek Secondary School
GCE "O" Levels
2002 – 2005
Temasek Secondary School Air Rifle, Team Member
2003 - 2005
• Participated in inter-school invitational shoots
YEAH! 2003 Entrepreneur Competition, Manager
• Advised and assisted in the sales planning and execution
• Promoted and sold various products to the public
Activities and Societies: National Day Parade 2002, Singapore Youth Festival Open Ceremony 2002
Alvin Lim's Languages
English(Professional working proficiency)
Chinese(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Alvin Lim's Skills & Expertise
Alvin Lim's Additional Information
Photography, Technology, Rollerblading, Cycling, Swimming, Reading
- Groups and Associations:
- Honors and Awards:
• Nanyang Technological University College Scholarship, 2010 to-date
• Nanyang Research Programme 2006 (Merit Award)
• Singapore Mathematical Olympiads 2003 (Bronze Award)
Contact Alvin for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch